From fantastic museum collections and stunning art to gorgeous parks and gardens, there are some fantastic free attractions to discover in London. Here are some of the best.
Coronavirus update: London is currently subject to national lockdown restrictions. All indoor attractions have temporarily closed. Some outdoor attractions are open for exercise with safety measures in place. Most attractions must be booked in advance, even if entrance is free.
If you're not yet able to visit London, check out attractions, online exhibitions and more activities to enjoy from home with the Virtually London guide.
Best free museums in London
- Discover treasures from Egyptian mummies to the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum.
- Admire fashion, jewellery, furniture and more at the Victoria and Albert Museum.
- Meet weird, wonderful and extinct beings at the likes of the Natural History Museum and Grant Museum of Zoology.
- See portraits of monarchs at the Queen's House.
- Travel back to Roman times at the London Mithraeum.
- Experience wartime Britain at IWM London.
- Delve into Britain’s naval history at the National Maritime Museum.
Best free art galleries
- Find world-class contemporary paintings, photographs and performance art at Tate Modern.
- Explore the Royal Academy of Arts' free collections of artworks, sculptures and statues.
- Discover more than 2,000 paintings from the Middle Ages to the 20th century at the National Gallery.
- Journey through the history of British art from 1500 to the present day at Tate Britain.
- Enjoy Old Master paintings, decorative arts, armouries and a pretty courtyard at The Wallace Collection.
- Check out cutting-edge contemporary art by emerging and renowned artists at the Whitechapel Gallery.
Best free parks and gardens
- Take a leisurely stroll, zip around on a bicycle or swim in the Serpentine at Hyde Park.
- Spot free-roaming deer, ancient trees and rare wildflower species at Richmond Park.
- See breathtaking views of the river Thames and the City of London in Greenwich Park.
- Achieve Zen in Kyoto Japanese Garden in Holland Park.
- Explore the magical ruins of a church in the pretty St Dunstan in the East gardens.
Best free sights in London
- Watch the spectacular Changing the Guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace.
- Follow in the wizarding trail of Harry Potter at filming locations Leadenhall Market and Platform 9 ¾ at King's Cross.
- See the famous fountains and stone lions at Trafalgar Square.
- Follow in the footsteps of The Beatles by crossing the famous Abbey Road zebra crossing.
- Stroll along Little Venice's charming canals.
- Spot rare plants and insects in Epping Forest.
- Soak up the floral colours and aromas of Columbia Road Flower Market.
Find more free things to do in London and discover 101 ideas including free events, festivals and cultural activities. Find more "free things to do near me" on the Visit London app, which is packed full of things to do on the go.