Explore the history, diversity and youth culture of Brent with a whole year of events and activities during its time as The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture 2020.
This north-west London borough's packed programme of activities celebrates the area through the untold stories, art and emotions that make up the heart of Brent.
You’ll find plenty of things to do in the borough, from street parties and music festivals, to new museum works and local initiatives.
Highlights of Brent’s 2020 programme
- Welcome the new London Borough of Culture with Rise – a celebration of Brent’s diverse community through dance, projection, film and sound.
- Visit The Museum of All Brent Life, as 10 neighbourhoods come together to create a living museum, representing local stories, people and objects.
- Head to The Kilburn High for a traffic-free summer street party, packed with visual arts, music performances and delicious food.
- Listen to the sounds of talented London artists during a huge musical showcase at the Arena Takeover in Wembley.
- Head to as Harlesden as its high street, bars, community centres and churches are filled with reggae tunes for The Bass Weekender.
What is The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture?
Introduced by Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in 2017, The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award offers more than £1m of funding for two boroughs to host a range of cultural events, activities and initiatives over a whole year.
Waltham Forest in north-east London was named The Mayor's London Borough of Culture for 2019, and Brent won the award for 2020. The two winning boroughs were selected from a competition that was open to all London boroughs.
The Mayor’s London Borough of Culture award brings Londoners together. Putting culture at the heart of local communities, where it belongs. Shining a light on the character and diversity of London’s boroughs and showing culture is for everyone.
Brent’s London Borough of Culture programme is being rescheduled to later in 2020, with the Kilburn High Street Party and Liberty Festival happening in summer 2021.