Summer’s preparing its warming hug, so put on your shades, grab your friends or family and plan ahead for the spring bank holiday weekend in London.
As London gears up for the summer months, you can enjoy plenty of outdoor fun, including alfresco dining, open-air cinema and theatre, or Insta-worthy parks and gardens. See what else is happening over the bank holiday weekend a little nearer the time.
Tick off top London attractions
- Cause FOMO back home as you visit London’s top attractions: Make memories this spring bank holiday at the iconic attractions that you've always wanted to visit.
- Pick up the money-saving Big City Saver: See multiple attractions including the London Eye, SEA LIFE London Aquarium and Madame Tussauds London.
- Enjoy the perfect day out with The Total London Experience: Visit London's most famous landmarks before ending the day with a scenic boat ride down the Thames.
- Take in stunning views of the capital aboard the Emirates Air Line cable car: Admire London's skyline as you travel between Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks.
- Or have an unforgettable adventure Up at the O2: See a different side of the city as you climb the famous roof of the iconic entertainment venue.
- Board a sightseeing bus: Get a taste of London this spring bank holiday as you hop on and off at your favourite city landmarks.
- Or do the same along the Thames with City Cruises: From sightseeing trips to fun dining experiences, you can discover London from the perfect vantage point.
- Alternatively, see the sights whizz by on a speedboat tour: Enjoy an exhilarating high-speed ride down the river Thames.
- See the city lights on a London by Night tour: Make the most of the warmer evenings as you discover the beauty and vibrancy of the city after hours.
Enjoy favourite family activities in London
- Celebrate the May half-term by visiting London’s top family attractions: From the historic Tower of London to the fascinating London Transport Museum.
- Book well ahead to see wizarding wonders at Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter: Don't miss this must-see magical attraction.
- Discover more of Harry Potter's London: From the immersive Harry Potter Photographic Exhibition to film location Tower Bridge, which featured in The Order of the Phoenix.
- See all your favourite animals at ZSL London Zoo: From lions and tigers to giraffes, penguins and more.
- Climb aboard the Cutty Sark: Learn about life on the famous ship and climb the rigging if you're brave enough.
- Explore the Houses of Parliament: Take a fascinating tour of the historic Palace of Westminster.
- Keep the little ones entertained with 101 things to do with kids in London: Find plenty of fun family activities.
- Older kids can enjoy 101 ideas for teenagers: From adrenaline-fuelled fun to Insta-worthy locations and more.
- Enjoy all sorts of days out in London with our handy itineraries: Find shopping hotspots, foodie treats, family ideas and more.
- Visit London's top museums: From modern art to ancient history, there's one to suit every interest.
Catch a film or a theatre show
- Take your pick from London's top musicals: For a night out at the theatre or a matinee performance.
- Discover the best shows for kids: Find family-friendly favourites from plays to child-friendly musicals.
- Get your Disney fix this spring bank holiday: Be dazzled by much-loved musicals such as The Lion King.
- Or chose a hilarious comedy musical: Laugh out loud at The Book of Mormon and The Play That Goes Wrong.
- Be enchanted by Wicked at the Apollo Victoria: Experience a magical musical that will leave you spellbound.
- Transport yourself to sunnier climes at Mamma Mia! at the Novello Theatre: Enjoy the wedding of the year, all set to the feel-good soundtrack of ABBA.
- Discover more theatre in London: Book the best seats at London's world-class shows.
- Watch Shakespearean classic: Enjoy a new production from the Shakespeare’s Globe Summer Season. TBC
- If the big screen is more your thing, head to an outdoor cinema: Get your fix of cult and classic films under the stars.
- Enjoy outdoor entertainment in London: From outdoor shows and artworks to film-themed tours.
Explore the great outdoors
- Visit west London's Kew Gardens: An abundance of breathtaking plants, trees and flowers awaits.
- See some of the Royal Parks' smallest inhabitants: Embark on walking trail and see an array of wildlife enroute.
- Mingle with birds and bees in London’s gorgeous gardens: Discover hidden gardens such as St Dunstan in the East and Brown Hart Gardens which offer the chance to relax in the city centre.
- Explore the city’s varied parks: Time your visit for pelican feeding time in St James’s Park or smell the pretty roses in Hyde Park’s rose garden.
- Go for a walk in one of the many beautiful London areas outside the city centre: Check out historic attractions in Greenwich, laze by the duck pond in Barnes, marvel at Wimbledon’s windmill or wander along the canals in Little Venice.
- Take a dip in a swimming pool: From natural pools in Hampstead Heath to Instagrammable art deco lidos.
- Hire a Santander Cycle (just £2 per day) and explore London on two wheels: Cut through parks and along backstreets, or cycle along the Thames path for river views.
- Be dazzled by the Illuminated River: Come nightfall, admire light display at some of London’s most iconic bridges.
- Enjoy outdoor activities in London: From outdoor exercise spots to vibrant outdoor markets.
Top experiences this Spring bank holiday in London
- Explore iconic sports venues: Take a fascinating behind the scenes tour of the Arsenal Emirates Stadium.
- Be wowed by ABBA Voyage, at ABBA Arena, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: See the Swedish stars as holograms in this state of the art digital concert.
Find more spring bank holiday events in London, “bank holiday events near me” and on-the-go ideas by downloading the Visit London app.
Seek out alfresco dining in London
- Grab an outside table and soak up the sun for some alfresco dining: Top hangouts include Kingly Court, St Christopher’s Place and Covent Garden.
- Sit back, sip on a cocktail or two at London’s rooftop bars: Many have had their summer makeover by the bank holiday weekend.
- Relax and unwind at one of the capital’s top picnic spots: Get those scotch eggs at the ready and dust off your rug for the first picnic of the year.
- Live the high life as you drink and dine in the clouds at London in the Sky: Take outdoor dining to a whole new level.
- Drink a refreshing pint at London's many beer gardens: Get together with pals for some beverages and socialising in the sun.
Pick up summer-ready items
- Discover London’s top shopping hotspots: Find late-spring deals or stock up on new-season threads.
- Explore one of the weekly markets in London: Peruse stalls which sell everything from antiques and crafts, to music, designer clothes and vintage garments.
- Buy that someone special a bouquet from Columbia Road flower market: Choose the perfect floral present from bucketful's of beautiful flowers.
- Browse London's department stores: Shop for quality fashion, homeware and more under one roof.
Shop till you drop with more London shopping ideas.
Practical info for bank holiday Monday in London
Most attractions, shops and restaurants are open as usual during the bank holiday weekend, or open with amended times. Please check with the individual venue before visiting.
More bank holiday inspiration
For more bank holiday weekend ideas, find our top tips on things to do on a Saturday and Sunday in London. If you’re staying for longer, make sure to see what else is on during spring and summer, including key events in May and June.