Treat your mum to her favourite activity in London on Mother’s Day, or get her to try something completely new.
In the UK, Mother's Day is celebrated three weeks before Easter Sunday, which means that in 2020, it falls on 22 March.
Browse our Mother’s Day ideas for London below to find top things to do with your mum on Mother’s Day 2020 in London. Choose from afternoon teas, walks in the park, shopping, bowling, cooking classes or perhaps a speedboat ride, and pick up the perfect Mother’s Day gift in London.
Mother's Day dining and foodie treats in London
- Book Mother’s Day lunch or dinner in advance, as it’s a popular date for dining out. You'll find plenty of London restaurants offer special Mother’s Day menus.
- Celebrate Mother’s Day with brunch in London, including two hours of Japanese food and drinks at the izakaya style Bottomless Brunch at Issho-Ni.
- Enjoy lunch with a view at Sky Garden or on a river cruise.
- Choose from lunch, brunch or afternoon tea with bubbly and iconic views, on a Mother's Day river cruise with City Cruises.
- Splash out for dinner at one of London’s Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Sip on cocktails or champagne at a top London bar, including special Mother's Day cocktails at Cora Pearl, created in collaboration with the fashion designer Agnes B.
- Bring the whole family together around a delicious Sunday roast in London.
- Make mum feel fabulous! Treat her to a themed menu at La Goccia or The Petersham and bond over a workshop at Petersham Nurseries Covent Garden during the weekend.
- Dine aboard R.S. Hispaniola, a docked ship offering free-flowing bubbles, a three-course meal and some sightseeing tickets.
- Go big this Mother's Day and head to the Lucky Cat by Gordon Ramsay, where you'll stuff your face with Asian-themed menu consisting of eight courses. Now that's what you call a feast!
- A table awaits at Michelin-starred Pétrus. Choose from a delightful three- or six-course menu.
Mother’s Day afternoon tea in London
- Tuck into dainty sandwiches and cakes with a traditional afternoon tea in London, or try an unusual afternoon tea on Mother's Day.
- Is your mum a Sherlock fan? Surprise her to a Sherlock-themed afternoon tea at The Mind Palace – and a free glass of Prosecco.
- A lover of iconic rabbit Miffy? Try the Miffy-themed afternoon tea at the Maggie & Rose cafe in Islington.
- Indulge in a Mother’s Day afternoon tea created by the former Great British Bake Off contestant Rav Bansal at Aviary Restaurant.
- Relive your childhood with mum by your side with the Peter Rabbit Afternoon Tea at The Terrace On Piccadilly, where mum can enjoy a glass of champagne on the house.
- Mother's Day means free-flowing bubbles, delicious nibbles and a free Molton Brown gift... At least at The Palm Court at Sheraton Grand London Park Lane, it does.
- Or upgrade to bubbles with the Mothering Sunday Afternoon Tea at the Haymarket Hotel.
- If you’re spending the day in Greenwich, DoubleTree by Hilton London Greenwich serves its usual tea with a selection of Mother's Day cakes.
- Embrace your creative flair at a mindful painting experience at MasterPeace, with afternoon tea nibbles at the ready. A spot for mum comes free with purchase of your ticket.
Mother’s Day London days out
- See the stunning Queen’s House during a day out in Greenwich.
- Explore the Victoria and Albert Museum’s exquisite collection of art and design.
- Head to the Guildhall Art Gallery to see works exploring female subjects in art as part of The Enchanted Interior exhibition.
- Snap a pic of your own "wonder woman" alongside Wonder Woman herself at new film sculpture trail Scenes in the Square.
- Look down on the city’s famous landmarks from a sky-high attraction.
- Take a ride on the London Eye with your mum and enjoy the spectacular views of London’s most famous landmarks.
- Visit Kenwood House and enjoy the views from Hampstead Heath, before stopping for a drink in a cute cafe of pub in Hampstead.
- See the first spring blossoms in a beautiful garden, or discover one of London’s most peaceful and picturesque spots.
- Share the magic of a top London musical with your mum, from old-time favourites to exciting new productions (not all productions have Sunday shows, so check timings in advance).
Mother's Day activities in London for some quality time together
- Whizz under Tower Bridge during a speedboat ride on Mother's Day.
- Challenge your competitive mum to a game of bowling at the all-American All Star Lanes.
- Conquer the rapids with mum at Lee Valley White Water Centre, or take on the track at Lee Valley VeloPark.
- Learn the art of pressing flowers at Davy’s Wine Vaults, then dig into a scrumptious roast and free champagne for mum.
- See if you've inherited mum's baking skills at Bread Ahead's Cakes and Muffins Workshop at Wembley or Borough Market.
- Book a private dance lesson, or drop in to one of the daily classes at Pineapple Dance Studios.
- Treat her ahead of the day as you craft flowers together at the paper flower-making workshop at Greenwich Market (14 Mar).
- Swing into mum's good books at Swingers – The Crazy Golf Club, at their West End or City of London locations. Enjoy a complimentary bottle of Cava when celebrating Mother's Day when in a group of four.
- Take advantage of two-for-one offer on tickets and drinks aboard Thames Clippers.
- See the city from above with an unforgettable helicopter tour of London.
Mother's Day shopping and pampering in London
- Take mum for a day of shopping, dining and entertainment in stylish Covent Garden.
- Browse the boutiques of colourful Notting Hill and its famous Portobello Market.
- Treat your mum to a shopping spree on Oxford Street, Bond Street and Regent Street, with a wealth of high street and designer fashion, beauty and homeware finds.
- Shower mum with some serious shopping at the West End, before enjoying an unforgettable theatre show in the heart of the theatreland.
- Find your Mother's Day gifts in advance, as you shop sustainable gifts directly from the artists at The London Artisan (14-15 Mar).
- Buy your mum a beautiful bunch of flowers on a visit to Columbia Road Flower Market, or discover another one of London's Sunday markets.
- Treat her to a relaxing spa in London, including the limited-edition Mother's Day treatment package from Bamford Wellness Spa.
- Book a Mother’s Day stay at a five-star London hotel.
Shopping for Mother’s Day gifts in London
Opt for the classic Mothering Sunday gift at a London florist, chocolatier or cake shop. Find unique and handmade gifts at one of London’s quirky and specialist markets. Or search for big brands in London’s top department stores.
For more ideas on what to do in London this Mother's Day, take a look at our calendar of events and guide to what’s on in London for events taking place on Mother's Day weekend and during the whole of March.