August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows during Kids Week, when tickets are heavily discounted.
What's on in London in August?
Iconic August events
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening at London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in south-east London during Greenwich+Docklands International Festival.
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, an annual celebration of classical music at Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
- Enjoy concerts from music greats in the magnificent surrounds of Hampton Court Palace at the Hampton Court Palace Festival. Nile Rogers, Tom Jones and Van Morrison are part of the 2021 lineup.
- Or see Sir Simon Rattle conduct the London Symphony Orchestra in the open-air BMW Classics concert in Trafalgar Square.
- Check out the Underbelly Festival's unique mix of comedy, cabaret, variety performances and more, as it sets up a new home near Oxford Street this year.
- Book a spot for quirky shows and activities for the whole family at the London Wonderground in Earl's Court.
- Cheer on your favourite teams during fast-paced cricket tournament The Hundred, which makes its London debut this summer.
New and returning theatre shows this August
- Head Back to the Future with the Doc and Marty McFly, as the cult film series transforms onto the stage in a thrilling new musical.
- Sing along to ABBA hits, with the return of long-running musical Mamma Mia!
- Mary Poppins pops up again on the London stage as PL Travers' classic tale is retold with plenty of catchy tunes.
- Vote to choose which of three plays the cast performs on the day, in Shakespeare's Globe's Audience Choice Midnight Matinée.
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, is not taking place on the streets of west London this year. But stay tuned for lots of activities and events related to the iconic carnival.
- Celebrate Black culture, food and music at Yam Carnival on Clapham Common, on bank holiday Saturday.
- Join more than 100 producers at the London Craft Beer Festival in Tobacco Dock for a three-day celebration of brewing...
- ...Or join the London Craft Beer Cruise for tastings on the Thames.
- Get the Caribbean vibes going at the London Jerk Festival 2021, all served with a side helping of live music and cultural fun.
August sightseeing ideas
- Stop off at key sights and attractions on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour. Head up to the top deck on other London bus tours, or even enjoy stand-up comedy or theatre tunes aboard a bus tour with live entertainment.
- See London from a different angle as you float along on a boat tour on the Thames...
- ...Or cross the Thames to take in stunning views from the Emirates Air Line cable car.
- You can see unique views of the West End by scaling the new Marble Arch Mound, just off Oxford Street.
- Pick up a money-saving pass such as The London Pass, the London Explorer Pass or Merlin London Attractions Pass to see many attractions in one go.
August family activities
- Tick off some of London's top attractions for kids, including wizard wonders at Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter and underwater marvels at SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
- Let the little ones take over a city made just for kids, as KidZania encourages them to try activities and careers such as pilots, firefighters, TV presenters and more.
- Help to protect Earth's inhabitants in a journey across space and time with family-friendly immersive experience Doctor Who: Time Fracture.
- Make the most of Kids Week, where you can pick up a half-price child's ticket for every half-price adult ticket, for top London theatre shows.
- Ride the dodgems, feast on street food and see cool installations at Dodge, in Somerset House's gorgeous courtyard.
- Head to Tate Modern with the kids to draw your own creations on the floor of Turbine Hall, as part of UNIQLO Tate Play.
- Design, build and decorate your own go kart with the entire family, before racing it, with Formula Fun.
- See colourful artworks celebrating the wonders of natural light in Canary Wharf, during the Summer Lights festival.
- Find heaps more family fun with top tips on things to do during the summer holidays and top family experiences in London right now.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.