August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
You can usually make the kids' summer memorable by taking them to London's best theatre shows during Kids Week, when tickets are heavily discounted.
Unmissable London events August 2022
- Buckingham Palace opens up its magnificent State Rooms to visitors with tours and special exhibitions to mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee year.
- Celebrate August bank holiday weekend (26-29 Aug) at Europe's largest street festival, as the iconic Notting Hill Carnival, returns to the streets of west London. 27-29 Aug
- Dance all day and night to top DJs and electronic music acts at the Eastern Electrics Festival at the Lee Valley Showground. 27 Aug
- Feel the pomp at BBC Proms, an annual celebration of classical music at the Royal Albert Hall, which is in full swing in August.
- Immerse yourself in all sorts of artsy performances in south-east London during the Greenwich+Docklands International Festival. 26 Aug-11 Sep
- Fill your tummy with street food and sip on refreshing coolers at the Hampton Court Palace Food Festival. 27-29 Aug
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival. 12-14 Aug
- Or cool yourself down by trying a new flavour at the Ice Cream Festival in Covent Garden. 19 Aug–4 Sep
- Join more than 100 producers at the London Craft Beer Festival in Tobacco Dock for a celebration of brewing.... 12-13 Aug
- Celebrate days out in the sun at the Carnaby Summer Festival, with fun activities, music, fashion, food, and more in the heart of London's West End. Dates TBC Aug-Sep
- Grab a comfy corner of the blanket for an evening at Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House or check out London's best outdoor cinemas.
- Or get together with friends and dance under the stars at London's annual music festivals.
London theatre in August
- Be dazzled by London's top theatre shows and see long-running musicals, classic comedy and innovative plays on the West End stage.
- Feel the warmth of the Serengeti as you follow Simba the lion cub on his adventures in The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre.
- Escape the summer heat for a winter wonderland at Disney's family favourite, Frozen at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.
- Don't miss the much-loved romantic tale Beauty and the Beast the Musical at the London Palladium.
- Raise the roof as you sing along with Deloris, the nun on the run in the heavenly musical Sister Act at the Eventim Apollo.
- Spend a summer evening at sea, with the heart-warming and hilarious nautical musical Anything Goes at the Barbican Theatre.
- Get into the holiday spirit, as you are whisked away to unforgettable Greek island wedding with Mamma Mia! at the Novello Theatre.
- Sing along to your favourite pop anthems with & Juliet at the Shaftesbury Theatre, and see the famous love story remixed.
- Get your summer soul fix at The Drifter's Girl at the Garrick Theatre, a musical inspired by the story of the legendary American vocal group The Drifters.
- Enjoy a perfect summer's day in the park, as 101 Dalmatians comes to life on stage at the Regent's Park Open Air Theatre.
- See Games of Thrones star Emilia Clarke in The Seagull, an epic tale of love, loneliness and chasing dreams at the Harold Pinter Theatre.
- Surprise the little ones and book all their favourite shows with incredible ticket offers during Kids Week. 1-31 Aug
Fun things to do in August
- Find plenty of family fun in London with top tips on things to do during the summer holidays and top family experiences in London right now.
- Make the most of the extra day off during the August bank holiday weekend, and discover many of London’s top attractions from your must-see list.
- Pick up a money-saving pass such as The London Pass, the Go City London Explorer Pass or the Big City Saver which give you access to multiple attractions.
- Stop off at key sights and attractions on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour and head up to the top deck for great views on other London bus tours.
- Or take to the river and discover key landmarks from a different angle, as you enjoy a boat tour on the Thames.
- Tick off some of London's top attractions for kids, including movie magic at Warner Bros. Studio Tour – The Making of Harry Potter and underwater wonders at SEA LIFE London Aquarium.
- Laugh out loud at Shrek’s Adventure! London, an indoor walk-and-ride attraction inspired by the hit DreamWorks film.
- Get that perfect Instagram shot as you glide over London in an Emirates Air Line cable car.
- Scale some of London’s most recognisable sights with the thrilling Up at The O2 climb or the Dare Skywalk.
- Test your nerves as you cross Tower Bridge’s glass-bottomed walkway, or book a special family tour.
- Feel each of the twists and turns on a high-speed descent through The Slide at ArcelorMittal Orbit.
- Discover how tiny hatchlings become gigantic tortoises, and meet an array of wonderful wildlife from around the world at ZSL London Zoo.
London exhibitions in August
- Visit Yayoi Kusama's The Obliteration Room at Tate Modern with the kids, and transform a blank apartment into a vibrant sea of colourful dots as part of UNIQLO Tate Play. Until 29 Aug
- See colourful artworks celebrating the wonders of natural light at Canary Wharf's Summer Lights festival. Until 20 Aug
- Don't miss the Summer Exhibition 2022 at the Royal Academy of Arts, showcasing innovative works from emerging artists around the world. Until 21 Aug
- Be intrigued by Salvador Dali's Lobster Telephone and other mind-blowing creations at Surrealism Beyond Borders at Tate Modern. Until 29 Aug
- Head to the West End for The Art of London Season and see it transformed into a vibrant canvas of colourful art. Dates TBC Aug-Oct
What else is on in August?
- Celebrate the return of summer as you watch your favourite pop stars in concert from Coldplay (12-20 Aug) and Westlife at Wembley Stadium (6 Aug), to Christina Aguilera at the O2 Arena (5 Aug).
- Immerse yourself in Punchdrunk's The Burnt City, a spectacular combination of theatre, immersive sets and special effects based in mythical Troy.
- Catch all the cricket action at must-see sporting event The Hundred, at the Kia Oval and Lord's Cricket Ground. From 3 Aug
- Take your seat for some high-dining 100ft (30m) above ground at The O2, with London in the Sky. Until
August bank holiday opening times
Opening times may vary and many attractions and venues require advance booking. Check with the individual venues before you go.
More bank holiday ideas
If you’re looking for “bank holiday events near me” and more things to do in London on bank holiday weekend, download the Visit London app.
Alternatively, discover what’s on in London by day, more August activities or browse the London events calendar for key events. Find more inspiration for weekends in London with these handy weekend guides.
If you're not able to visit London this bank holiday, plan ahead for the next public holidays in London.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.