- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air cinema and events usually on offer.
- August events usually include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- Families are spoiled for choice with activities at top attractions during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season usually kicks-off this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London, when you can enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities and make the most of the warm summer days.
Some London events have been cancelled or postponed due to coronavirus, but you can find plenty of things to enjoy from home in our Virtually London guide.
Virtual events in August
- Join the virtual vegan extravaganza with the online edition of VegfestUK, bringing live cooking demonstrations, gigs, fitness classes and comedy to your home.
- Hit play on your radio, TV or digital devices to tune into online concerts as part of the iconic BBC Proms classical music festival this month.
- Be transported to south London as the annual Crystal Palace Festival is hosted online, with live music, dance, theatre and more performances from local acts.
- Enjoy live music or get creative with fun workshops throughout August, during The Peninsulist Presents virtual festival.
August events in London
Find a flavour of what's usually on in August below. Make sure to check the individual event for confirmation of this year's edition or plan ahead for next year.
Annual summer events in London
- Watch a show on capital's largest outdoor screen with Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House, This event has been cancelled this year.
- Buckingham Palace opens up its magnificent State Rooms to visitors with tours and special exhibitions, while the Queen is away on her summer holidays. This year's event has been cancelled. But you can tour the palace virtually, including the magnificent Throne Room.
Top London festivals
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival. This year's event has been cancelled.
- Lose yourself in the music during the bank holiday weekend at South West Four Festival. This year's event has been cancelled.
- Fill your tummy with street food and sip on refreshing coolers at the Hampton Court Palace Food Festival.
- Find more information about London's annual music festivals each August.
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend. This year's event has been cancelled.
Unmissable London events
- Celebrate south Asian culture in London with The London Mela powered by Let's Go Southall, featuring food, music and street theatre.
- Join the world's greatest festival of cycling with two days of two-wheeled fun during Prudential RideLondon. This year's event has been cancelled.
For more things to do in August in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our guide to London theatre. Fancy a spontaneous break to London? Find out what you can do this weekend and what is on today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.