- Summer is in full swing in August with plenty of open-air entertainment on offer.
- August events include the Notting Hill Carnival, Film4 Summer Screen and Prudential RideLondon.
- There are lots of family-friendly activities during the summer holidays.
- The capital's main football season begins this month.
August is one of the warmest months of the year in London. Enjoy the capital’s many outdoor and open-air activities to make the most of the warm summer days.
Look out for children's activities at many London attractions, and take the kids to a top West End play or musical for free this month during Kids Week.
London's main football season kicks off in August. Experience one of London's great sporting passions during your visit by getting your hands on good-value tickets and soaking up the atmosphere at one of the capital's football clubs.
August events in London
Summer events in London
- Enjoy a summer evening at London's open-air cinemas, such as Rooftop Film Club in iconic London locations or on the capital's largest outdoor screen with Film4 Summer Screen at Somerset House.
- Find live performances, summer parties and outdoor activities during the Join the Docks festival at the historic Royal Docks.
- Follow the Illuminated River trail – London's new attraction – and discover the city in a new light during an evening stroll by the riverside.
- Buckingham Palace opens up its magnificent State Rooms to visitors with tours and special exhibitions, while the Queen is away on her summer holidays.
- Take an evening walk and gaze over the beautifully illuminated Kew Gardens during Chihuly Nights.
Top London festivals
- Head to the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms classical music festival.
- Make your way to the south bank of the river Thames for the Underbelly Festival.
- Sample beers from the world's top breweries at the London Craft Beer Festival.
- Treat yourself to a sensory celebration of all things sweet at the London Dessert Festival.
- Lose yourself in the music during the bank holiday weekend at South West Four Festival.
- Check out more of London's top music festivals this August.
August bank holiday weekend in London
- Europe's largest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, comes to west London with a huge Caribbean party. Join more than one million people for three days of colourful floats, parades, music and dance over the August bank holiday (public holiday) weekend.
- Grab a deck chair and some snacks, and chill out at the Fantastic Feats of Cinema at Guildhall Yard.
- Re-live your childhood at the world's biggest inflatable obstacle course for adults, as The Monster takes over Alexandra Palace.
- Indulge in scoops of the best ice-cream in London, along masterclasses and ice-cream based activities at the Covent Garden Cool Down.
Unmissable London events
- Enjoy a night of Abba-themed fun with Mamma Mia! The Party, complete with Mediterranean food and dancing.
- Celebrate south Asian culture in London with The London Mela powered by Let's Go Southall, featuring food, music and street theatre.
Sporting events in London
- See the world's top riders and horses show jump as the Longines Global Champions Tour returns to Royal Hospital Chelsea.
- Take in the incredible atmosphere as two of Rugby League's top teams battle it out in the Coral Challenge Cup Final.
- Join the world's greatest festival of cycling with two days of two-wheeled fun during Prudential RideLondon.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.