Schools take a week-long half-term holiday in May and many family-friendly attractions put on special activities for the week.
There are two public holidays (bank holidays) in May with events taking place over the long weekends.
Events include the RHS Chelsea Flower Show, London Wine Week and the FA Cup finals.
In May, spring is well under way with warm weather and some sunshine. But you may still need a light coat and an umbrella in case of rain.
UK schools break up for a half-term holiday at the end of May. Family-friendly attractions are usually busy during this week-long school holiday, and many of them put on special activities for children.
There are also two public holidays (bank holidays) in May in London. Look out for special activities during these two long weekends at the start and end of the month.
Annual events in May
- Celebrate the heritage of the capital with events, activities and exhibitions on London History Day.
- Head to pop-up bars, alfresco parties and special tasting sessions during London Wine Week.
- Meet artists, engineers and designers during London Craft Week, which showcases the creativity and craftsmanship of London's celebrated and emerging makers.
- Check out world-class photography from across the globe at Somerset House's Photo London.
- Join the Eid Festival celebrations in Trafalgar Square, featuring family activities and street food from around the world.
Outdoor events in May
- Watch a play in the sun this month during some of London's biggest open-air theatre summer seasons, including Regent's Park Open Air Theatre and Shakespeare's Globe.
- Raise a toast for Mr Punch's 358th birthday during the Covent Garden May Fayre and Puppet Festival.
- See vivid floral displays and innovative show gardens at the prestigious RHS Chelsea Flower Show, plus the public floral display for Chelsea in Bloom.
London May sports events
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.