Schools take a week-long half-term holiday in May. Choose from piles of family-friendly activities put on by top attractions this week.
Make plans for the two public holidays (bank holidays) in May with special events taking place over the long weekends.
Unmissable events include the RHS Chelsea Flower Show and the FA Cup finals.
In May, spring is well under way with warm weather and some delightful sunshine, but you may still need a light coat and a brolly, in case of a light drizzle.
There are also two public holidays (bank holidays) this month: the early May bank holiday and the spring bank holiday. So, keep an eye out for what’s on in London in May to make the most of the extended weekends.
What's on in London in May 2020?
- Celebrate the heritage of the capital with events, activities and exhibitions on London History Day.
- Head to pop-up bars, alfresco parties and special tasting sessions during London Wine Week (TBC).
- Meet artists, engineers and designers during London Craft Week, which showcases the creativity and craftsmanship of London's celebrated and emerging makers.
- Check out world-class photography from across the globe at Somerset House's Photo London.
- Join the Eid Festival celebrations in Trafalgar Square, featuring family activities and street food from around the world.
- Tate Modern is officially entering its 20s and invites you to join the celebrations this month.
Outdoor events in May
- Watch a play in the sun this month during some of London's biggest open-air theatre summer seasons, including Regent's Park Open Air Theatre and Shakespeare's Globe.
- See vivid floral displays and innovative show gardens at the prestigious RHS Chelsea Flower Show, plus floral displays in the surrounding streets for Chelsea in Bloom.
- If you’re hanging out in Belgravia, check out the neighbourhood’s own Belgravia in Bloom…
- …or stop by Covent Garden to be wow-ed by Covent Garden in Bloom and the striking floral displays of Fleurs De Villes.
- Take dining to new heights with London in the Sky, the ultimate experience for foodies and adrenaline junkies.
- For a music festival in London this May, make an appearance at All Points East at Victoria Park.
- You’re in for a treat, The May Fair at Grosvenor Square brings seaside vibes to the city on the early May bank holiday weekend.
Exciting events for your calendar
- Get a ticket for the Men's FA Cup final and Women's FA Cup Final or join football fans in pubs all over London, which are packed with people watching the games.
- Lose yourself among vintage four-wheelers at Park it in the Market at Greenwich Market.
- Indulge in all sorts treats at the Foodies Festival at Syon Park
- Join three days of running and fitness activities with Hackney Moves 2020.
- Transform into an anime character for a day and mingle among other comic fanatics at one of the coolest celebrations of pop culture, MCM Comic Con London.
- See how the Dub Reggae culture influenced the capital at the Dub London exhibition at the Museum of London.
- Take an electrifying ride to the West End, where Back to the Future Musical kicks-off this month.
- Discover the life of Indigenous People through Arctic: Culture and Climate exhibition at the British Museum.
- Don’t miss the blockbuster exhibitions including Among the Trees at Hayward Gallery, Steve McQueen at Tate Modern and the selfie-friendly Meet Vincent van Gogh at Upper Ground – which all come to an end in May.
- Hockey: FIH Pro League is back with plenty of fast-paced action.
For more things to do in London in May, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our London theatre guide. For on-the-go adventure ideas, download the Visit London App.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London Weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.