What's on in London in October?
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds.
Fun family events in London
- Take your pick from fun events and activities at London attractions during October half-term. 16-31 Oct
- Entertain the kids and make lifelong memories at these top kids attractions.
- Book these iconic top 10 attractions, for a fun-tastic family day out in the capital.
- Sing along with the kids and enjoy your favourite shows on stage at these top musicals.
- Don't miss skating under thousands of twinkling lights at the National History Museum Ice Rink as it returns for its final festive year.
- See larger-than-life illuminature on the nature-inspired light trail at London Wetland Centre. From 22 Oct
- Get active and meet sporting heroes at KidZania's Middlesex County Cricket Club Experience. 19-28 Oct
- Pick up a paintbrush and get creative with art, drama and play at Family Art Day, part of The Bloomsbury Festival. 16 Oct
- Adventure-seekers can join forces for an immersive treasure hunt, solving cryptic clues and discovering London's hidden secrets.
Unmissable London events in October
- Enjoy fun events throughout Black History Month, which celebrates black culture and history throughout October each year. 1-31 Oct
- Join talks, readings, poetry performances and more events with the London Literature Festival at the Southbank Centre. 21-31 Oct
- Catch films and movie-themed fun at the BFI London Film Festival. 6-17 Oct
- Meet artists, engineers and designers during London Craft Week. 4-10 Oct
- Celebrate Diwali the festival of lights and enjoy performances and cultural activities in Trafalgar Square. 23 Oct
- Discover what space travel is really like with fascinating insights from astronaut Tim Peake at Royal Festival Hall, Southbank Centre. 30 Oct
- Test your fitness as you sprint past London landmarks or join thousands cheering from the sidelines at the Virgin Money London Marathon. 3 Oct
- Watch top cyclists speed around the track at the Six Day London cycling event in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. 26-31 Oct
- Run for great causes in the leafy surrounds of London's beautiful parks at the Royal Parks Half Marathon. 10 Oct
- Touchdown at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and cheer on your favourite team as NFL London Games return. 10-17 Oct
Halloween in London
Celebrate Halloween in London with an array of themed events, from family activities at museums to spooky London tours and frightening events. Explore eerie ways to celebrate with our picks of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
Theatre shows in London
- Enjoy the magical adventures of the world-famous wizard as Harry Potter and the Cursed Child returns to the West End. From 14 Oct
- Groove along to Get Up! Stand Up! The Bob Marley Musical, celebrating the life of Jamaica's iconic Reggae legend. From 1 Oct
- Laugh out loud with loveable rogues Del Boy and Rodney in Only Fools and Horses The Musical, as the much-loved tv series come to life on stage. From 1 Oct
- Don't miss a classic tale of romance with Romeo and Juliet at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre. Until 17 Oct
- Don't miss the hottest shows as more West End shows reopen. Find more London theatre and book your tickets now.
Art and museum exhibitions in London
- Get your cultural fix when it's cold outside at the best museum exhibitions and art exhibitions in the capital.
- Discover world-class artworks and sculptures at Frieze art fairs, in the beautiful setting of Regent's Park. 13-17 Oct
- ...And visit galleries open late to admire artworks from rising stars and big names during Frieze's .
- See 500 years of history captured across five royal dynasties in Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits at the National Maritime Museum. Until 31 Oct
- Don't miss the dazzling neon sculptures of Chila Burman's “do you see words in rainbows” art installation emblazoned in Covent Garden. Until 31 Oct
- Be intrigued by The Great Picture Book of Everything, an illustrated encyclopedia by the famous Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai at The British Museum. 30 Sep-30 Jan
For more things to do in October in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. Or discover plenty more seasonal events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see this London weather page.
Sign up for this monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.