- Explore London's food scene with the London Restaurant Festival.
- Some of the top October events include Frieze London, London Cocktail Week, London Oktoberfest and opening of the National History Museum Ice Rink.
- In 2020, the London Marathon takes place in October (it's usually in April).
- Join in the fun with Halloween celebrations across London.
London becomes a little colder in October as autumn splashes the city’s parks and gardens with a riot of autumnal colours, changing the vivid greens to warm coppers, golds and russet reds.
London food festivals
- Discover top London restaurants and hang out with celebrity chefs during the month-long London Restaurant Festival, full of one-off menus and foodie events.
- Devour classics or new mixes during London Cocktail Week, with events, discounts and tastings across the city.
- Experience Bavarian culture under a tent brimming with oompah bands, sizzling bratwurst and pints of good old German beer at London Oktoberfest.
- Or opt for the veggie option of the same celebration at Vegtoberfest.
Unmissable London events in October
- Line the streets to cheer on the thousands of runners during the Virgin Money London Marathon, which is taking place in October this year.
- View and buy contemporary art or historical gems at Frieze London and Frieze Masters art fairs in Regent's Park.
- Journey through the theme of disruption with talks, readings, poetic performances and more wordy events with the London Literature Festival at the Southbank Centre.
- Dance the night away to beats inspired by films at the BFI London Film Festival, as DJs drop sets on Friday and Saturday nights throughout the month.
- Steep yourself in history through the Chelsea History Festival's programme of talks by world-class speakers, historians and performers.
Halloween in London
Celebrate Halloween in London with an array of themed events, from family activities at museums, to spooky London tours and frightening events. Explore eerie ways to celebrate with our picks of the best things to do in London this Halloween.
Fun family events in London
- Dig out your skates and enter the National History Museum Ice Rink to skate under thousands of twinkling lights, as London welcomes the festive season.
- Feel the electric atmosphere of the velodrome as the world’s best cyclists whizz towards victory during Six Day London at Lee Valley VeloPark.
- Run through golden leaves in London's famous parks in support of a charity at Royal Parks Half Marathon.
Or discover plenty more seasonal events and activities with our ultimate guide to autumn in London.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.