Weekend city breaks
Spend a weekend city break in London and make the most of all the capital has to offer in two exciting days. Whether you’re here for a little downtime or are celebrating a special occasion, London has something for everyone.
The work week is finally over which means you’ve got a whole weekend of fun ahead of you. Head straight to your London hotel, drop your bags and freshen up for a night out on the town.
- Start your weekend break in London's West End, a hotbed of award-winning theatre and world-class restaurants. See top musicals such as Mamma Mia! and Back to the Future.
- Tick off London’s top attractions such as the London Eye and the Tower of London. You can make the most of your trip by seeing the capital’s best sights on a hop-on-hop-off bus tour.
- Head to London's most Instagrammable cafes, from indulgent cakes at Peggy Porschen to creative coffees at Shoreditch Grind.
- Visit the city's top pubs, for a traditional Sunday roast or to simply enjoy a pint in the beer garden.
Whether you're looking for an iconic hotel in the centre of the city or a lesser-known boutique or B&B, discover the best places to stay in London.
- Go for glamour and stay at one of the city's oldest and most famous hotels such as The Ritz and The Savoy.
- Book in at a friendly bed and breakfast such as The Georgian House, built in 1851 and run by the original family.
- Set up base at a self-catered accommodation, from apartments to homestays.
There's always something exciting happening across the city, so be sure to check our events calendar to see what's on during your stay.
Romantic city breaks
Treat your loved one to a romantic weekend in London.
Spend some quality time together, whether that's by unwinding with a luxury treatment or exploring the capital's most romantic sights.
- Relive timeless love stories at London's historic palaces, from the spectacular gardens of Hampton Court Palace to Kensington Palace former home to royalty such as Diana, Princess of Wales and Queen Victoria.
- Enjoy a relaxing break with your sweetheart, and get pampered at one of London’s best spas.
Get ready for a night out to remember as the sun goes down and London is lit up by thousands of flickering lights.
- Book a table at one of London’s romantic restaurants or watch the sunset at a lively rooftop bar.
- Enjoy an iconic evening of comedy, song and burlesque at The Windmill Soho with a two-course dinner* designed by Michelin-starred chef Andrew McLeish.
Find your love nest at a romantic London hotel, and indulge in a cosy breakfast in bed before heading for a stroll in the city’s most beautiful parks.
- The Corinthia is ideal for sunset walks along the Thames.
- Sip on a glass of bubbles on your beautiful balcony at The Kensington.
- Enjoy an intimate dinner in The Mirror Room restaurant during a stay at Rosewood London.
City breaks for families
Treat the kids and make memories for a lifetime with a fun family break to London full of exciting activities for all ages.
London is full of attractions your children will love, from interactive museum exhibits to outdoor activities and sightseeing.
- Add a little magic to your London city break and discover everything Harry Potter around town.
- Or head to the West End to see family-favourite shows such as Wicked and Matilda.
- On a budget? Browse our ideas for free things to do with kids in London and be inspired.
It should come as no surprise that London serves some of the best food in the world, and there’s no exception when it comes to options for families.
- Stay stress-free at Park Plaza, where rooms are made with families in mind.
- The Melia White House is just a stone’s throw from ZSL London Zoo.
- Make the most of the complimentary ice cream at The Ritz London.
Cultural city breaks
- Discover secret corners of London or follow in the footsteps of a famous detective on one of London's top walking tours.
- Catch an award-winning play or an opera show, attend an intimate music session at legendary Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club or a massive concert at Wembley Stadium or at The O2.
London is a melting pot of cultures, which brings with it varied cuisine from around the world. But it wouldn’t be a trip to London without having indulged at an afternoon tea. Head to one of city’s spots, hop aboard a sightseeing bus or take your tea with a twist. Or pair your afternoon tea with an expert guided highlights tour of the National Gallery.
Give your trip a creative twist and stay at one of the city’s wonderful design hotels. From art-deco accommodation to quirky boutiques, discover a new home-away-from-home that makes it hard to leave.
- Nestle yourself in Andaz Liverpool Street, a former railway hotel dating back to 1884.
- Explore the vibrant interiors and carefully curated private art collection at The Mandrake.
- Artist Residence London in Pimlico is a vibrant yet peaceful enclave from the hustle and bustle of capital.
A guided tour of the British Museum. See the very best of the many exhibitions and impressive collection of artefacts and ancient treasures.
Foodie city breaks
Immerse yourself in London’s eclectic food scene and eat your way around the capital with our ideas for a delicious city break.
Just as there is plenty of sightseeing to do in the capital, there's also plenty to eat.
- Get a little creative at a foodie masterclass, whether that’s whipping up a bespoke cocktail or creating decadent desserts at a chocolate workshop.
- Take a fun foodie tour of bustling Borough Market or head to Brick Lane to sample some of the area's top Asian food.
- Spend the evening getting a little competitive at one of London's top activity bars.
Start your day with an artisanal coffee, grab some tasty street food at London’s colourful markets and do some gourmet shopping at these luxury food shops. From bottomless to the downright bizarre, treat yourself to a late start and enjoy a delicious brunch. Or let one of these quirky restaurants surprise your senses with balanced flavours and unusual decor.
- Head to beloved vegan and vegetarian spot Mildreds for a feast of international influences.
- From folklore and fairy tales to a night at the movies, sample inventive dishes from an ever-changing themed tasting menu at Six by Nico.
- Duck & Waffle serves classic European and British dishes accompanied by fantastic views of the city from the 40th floor of the Salesforce Tower London.
Splash out and stay at one of the few London hotels to have a Michelin-starred restaurant, such as Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park and The Berkeley. Or position yourself smack bang in the middle of London’s top foodie areas such as Camden, trend-setting Shoreditch, vibrant Soho and upmarket Mayfair.
Take on a 21-course sushi experience* and bubbles with Chef Suren at The Rubens at the Palace.
Sustainable city breaks in London
London is a fantastic destination for responsible tourists, with its eco-conscious eateries and sustainable activities.
London is home to some of the world’s most beautiful green spaces, and getting around the city has never been greener with London’s extensive public transport network and cycle hire schemes.
- Get outside and wander the wildly botanical Kew Gardens, enjoy a bike tour of Hampton Court Palace* and take on the Treetop Challenge at Go Ape*.
- Reduce waste (and even save some pennies) by visiting the best sustainable shops in London. From zero waste snacks to unique gifts and unusual souvenirs, shop in places that are eco-friendly and support good causes.
- Take to the Thames and travel along the river, passing by the top sights, on an Uber Boat by Thames Clippers.
London’s eco-conscious food scene continues to grow and evolve as new and innovative ideas for sustainable dining experiences are discovered.
- Silo in Hackney is one of the world’s first zero-waste restaurants where the carefully curated menu makes use of every ingredient. Everything has a purpose or has been repurposed, with plates formed from plastic bags to the crockery made from crushed wine bottles.
- If you’re looking for delicious comfort food, Unity Diner in Spitalfields has an extensive vegan menu that includes delicious plant-based favourites such as tofish and chips, truffle burger and ice cream waffles. Also, profits from Unity Diner support the running of an animal sanctuary that has already rescued over 150 animals.
See more vegan restaurants.
Many of London’s hotels are helping the city to become greener. From smaller actions such as switching to eco-friendly toiletries to bigger changes such as adding energy-saving solar panels and insulation.
- No need to compromise on comfort at The Londoner Hotel where sustainability meets luxury with new technologies preserving the biosphere.
- Relax on Ham Yard Hotel’s living rooftop that is home to a bucolic vegetable garden and beehives.
- Eco-minded The Corner London City embodies all things sustainable, from airdrop shower heads to bike hire.
An evening at London’s Sky Garden enjoying panoramic views of the city and sipping on cocktails while you listen to live jazz.
Cheap city breaks
A visit to London doesn’t need to break the bank. Book your London city trip in advance for the best travel and accommodation rates, and follow our tips to find cheap theatre tickets to your favourite shows.
Buy a sightseeing pass to save money and enjoy complimentary and fast-track entrance to unmissable London icons and must-see attractions.
- Stay in heart of London at the contemporary citizenM London Bankside.
- Enjoy a games room, bar and chill out areas with nightly events at Generator Hostel London.
- Make base at the friendly bed and breakfast, Marble Arch Inn.
Get great value for your money by spending a day seeing London’s top sights on the Total London Experience.
City breaks in London neighbourhoods
Experience a different side of London: go off the beaten track and explore fascinating London areas. If you’ve been to London many times and think you’ve seen it all before, there’s still plenty to discover beyond the city’s top tourist spots.
- Soak in spectacular views, culture and green spaces on a trip to Greenwich. Stay in a hotel in Greenwich for convenient transport links to The O2 and central London, and enjoy Royal Greenwich’s local feel, historic attractions and the lively market.
- Nature lovers should pay a visit to Richmond – one of the prettiest London neighbourhoods, boasting fine hotels and the largest of London’s Royal Parks. Enjoy a romantic meal in the secluded Petersham Nurseries and visit the areas’ magnificent palaces.
- Immerse yourself in one of London’s most colourful and creative areas by exploring Hoxton and Shoreditch. A short walk away from Old Street Tube Station, this part of London hosts many hostels and trendy boutique hotels. Take a street art tour and do some shopping at Boxpark, London’s only pop-up mall.