Journey into London’s oldest Gothic cathedral. Situated at the foot of London Bridge, Southwark Cathedral is a thriving modern church seeped in ancient history.
What is there to see at Southwark Cathedral?
Start your exploration of Southwark Cathedral by heading to the carved Great Screen and the ornate Altar Piece.
Next, find The Shakespeare Window and monument in the South Aisle. The stained glass window commemorates the playwright who wrote many of his most famous works for the nearby Globe Theatre. The monument shows Shakespeare resting in a meadow and the window shows a collection of characters from his plays.
Another unique feature of Southwark Cathedral not to miss is the Harvard Chapel which celebrates the founder of Harvard University who was baptised as a baby at the cathedral.
Head to Humphrey’s Yard and you might be able to spot a new stone carving on the northside of the retrochoir commemorating Doorkins Magnificat. The feline lived at the cathedral from 2008 until 2020 and became so popular with visitors he even had a book written about him.
And if you’re really lucky, you might also spot Hodge, Southwark Cathedral’s new resident cat.
How long does it take to go around Southwark Cathedral?
Give yourself about two hours to leisurely explore the nooks and crannies of Southwark Cathedral. When you’re done exploring, head to the café with friends for hot drinks and freshly made pastries.
Is it free to visit Southwark Cathedral?
It is free to visit Southwark Cathedral. If you want to explore the cathedral, it’s best to visit when a service is not in progress as parts of the cathedral are closed to visitors during services.
Where is Southwark Cathedral?
Southwark Cathedral is located at the south end of London Bridge. It is in Bankside, south-east London.
How do I get to Southwark Cathedral?
The closest Tube station is London Bridge (5 mins walk). Alternatively, use Monument (8 mins walk), Cannon Street (10 mins walk) or Bank (15 mins walk).
The closest train station is London Bridge (5 mins walk). Alternatively, use Cannon Street (10 mins walk) or Blackfriars (15 mins walk).
Bus numbers 17, 21 ,35,40, 43,47,48, 133 ,141,149, 344, RV1 all stop near Southwark Cathedral at London Bridge Station, London Bridge or Borough High Street.
There is a Santander Cycles docking station on Duke Street Hill (just outside London Bridge on Tooley Street).
There are areas for parking your own bike just outside the cathedral (opposite Borough Market) and on Montague Close.
Prices and opening times
Refectory open daily 10:00-17:00
Venue Details & Map
London BridgeLondonSE1 9DA
- +44 (0)20 7367 6734
- Public transport:
- Tube/train: London Bridge. Exit via Tooley Street. Cross road, turn left and follow road under London Bridge (Road). Cathedral Millennium Courtyard is on the left after exiting the tunnel.
Facilities & Accessibility
For comprehensive accessibility information on this venue please click here
- Access Inside Building Facilities
- Accessible lift
- All routes suitable for limited mobility users
- Effective lighting throughout for visually impaired users
- Lift buttons with raised numbers or letters
- Ramps within building
- Some routes suitable for limited mobility users
- Some routes suitable for wheelchair users
- Some routes with tactile features for visually impaired users
- Steps within building
- Access into the Building
- Full, non-assisted wheelchair access
- Accessible Bathroom Facilities
- Designated wheelchair accessible public toilet
- Some toilets with handrails
- Accessible Communication Facilities
- Clear signage (colour contrast, large letters or pictograms)
- Hearing loop system
- Information available in large print
- Menus available in large print
- Accessible Parking Facilities
- Public car park available within two hundred metres of main entrance
- Accessible Venue Facilities
- Assistance dogs welcome
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities
- Level access, ramp or lift to dining area
- Level access, ramp or lift to restaurant or cafe
- Level access, ramp or lift to the shop
- Special dietary requirements catered for
- Staff available to assist
- Staff disability awareness trained
- Additional Accessible Facilities
- Accessible baby changing rooms
- Level access, ramp or lift from entrance to reception
- Portable chip and pin machines
- Attraction Facilities
- Gift shop
- Patron toilets
- Booking Facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Group bookings accepted
- Catering Facilities
- Event catering
- Food shop
- Halal options on menu
- Kosher options on menu
- Nut-free option on menu
- Outdoor dining / Beer garden
- Private Dining
- Set price menu
- Vegetarian options on menu
- Event Facilities
- Available for wedding receptions
- Breakout Rooms
- Conference rooms / Meeting rooms
- Event facilities
- In house AV available
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Offers charity rates
- Wedding service
- General Facilities
- Payment Facilities
- Free entry
- Group rates available
- Monthly rates available
- Weekly rates available