There are plenty of secret things to do in London: search for top-secret London attractions, dine at quirky restaurants or hunt for treasures in unusual shops. But keep these secret London spots to yourself... you didn't hear about them from us!
Secret gardens in London
- Escape from the hustle and bustle of central London at peaceful St Dunstan in the East.
- Take a walk through one of London’s tranquil cemeteries, including Victorian Nunhead Cemetery in south-east London.
- Fill your Instagram feed with rooftop views from The Garden at 120.
- Go off the beaten track to explore sprawling Epping Forest – one of the loveliest secret escapes in London.
- Come face to face with life-size dinosaur sculptures hidden in Crystal Palace Park.
- Marvel at the stunning Buddhist Peace Pagoda in Battersea Park, or admire the much larger Buddhapadipa Temple in Wimbledon.
- Wander around the gorgeous grounds of 17th-century Ham House and Gardens.
- Explore the tranquil, little-known Kyoto Garden at Holland Park, itself a London hidden gem.
- Discover the hidden gems of Richmond Park: explore Isabella Plantation, admire the views from King Henry’s Mound and look out for more than 600 deer.
- Stroll around the secret Garden of Medicinal Plants at Chelsea Physic Garden.
Hidden London areas
- Head to Walthamstow in Waltham Forest to explore the William Morris Gallery, or stop off at neontastic God's Own Junkyard.
- Wander through the cobbled streets of Greenwich – home to Cutty Sark, Queen's House and the Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- View contemporary artworks from world-famous artists at RISE Gallery in Croydon, before feasting on foodie treats at Boxpark Croydon.
- Explore a little-known royal residence during a visit to Kew Palace.
- Venture over to Brixton for global cuisine or live music at Pop Brixton, which is built from shipping containers.
- Take a trip to the riverside town of Kingston upon Thames and pick up goodies from the daily market in the Ancient Market Place.
- Admire the 18th-century architecture of Chiswick House.
- Amble around eight hectares (19 acres) of medieval gardens at Eltham Palace – the home of London’s oldest working bridge.
- Visit Twickenham to discover the gothic delights of Horace Walpole's former home, Strawberry Hill House.
- Hunt for hidden gems in Bexley, where you'll find Danson House, Hall Place and Lesnes Abbey.
Tucked-away music venues
- Enjoy evening entertainment at the glorious Wilton's Music Hall, the world’s oldest surviving grand music hall.
- Catch top concerts and occasional secret gigs at legendary KOKO London in Camden.
- Drop by Village Underground in east London for DJ sets and live music events.
- Jive to live music in swanky 1950s-inspired surroundings at the Rivoli Ballroom.
- Listen to smooth tunes at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club, which has welcomed legendary jazz artists including Ella Fitzgerald, Stan Getz and Buddy Rich.
- Make sure to request your favourite tunes at one of The Piano Works' non-stop live music venues in London.
- Dance along to music from super-talented artists at Bush Hall – become a member to access top-secret shows in London.
- Head over to The Half Moon Putney whose past performers include the Rolling Stones.
- Venture below river level to Tower Bridge’s Bascule Chambers for an unforgettable concert, as part of the annual Totally Thames festival.
- Listen to live music on the streets of London at a top busking spot, including Trafalgar Square, South Bank and Covent Garden.
Unusual London shops
- Fall in love with magical Alice in Wonderland-inspired items at Alice Through The Looking Glass.
- Step into the futuristic Cyberdog for florescent fashions and neon rave accessories.
- Look for books, toys and merchandise which bring back childhood memories at The Moomin Shop.
- Browse for books in beautiful Edwardian surroundings at the Marylebone branch of Daunt Books.
- Pick up unusual supplies, from dragon treats to fang floss, at Hoxton Street Monster Supplies.
- Satisfy your sweet cravings at Choccywoccydoodah.
- Search the London Beatles Store for all things rock'n'roll, from vinyl records to cool memorabilia.
- While away a rainy afternoon at James Smith & Sons, which has sold umbrellas in London since 1830.
- Shop for your perfect ukulele, banjo or other musical instrument at Duke of Uke.
- Discover hidden shopping gems in London for cool specialist boutiques and off-the-high-street brands.
Top-secret bars in London
Unique museums in London
- Step inside the home of London’s favourite detective at the Sherlock Holmes Museum.
- See a giant stuffed walrus and many more curious items at the Horniman Museum and Gardens.
- Venture to The Vault at Hard Rock Cafe to discover hidden rock'n'roll memorabilia from around the world.
- Learn about the incredible work of the lady with the lamp at the Florence Nightingale Museum.
- Visit the House of MinaLima to see original artworks and props from the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts films.
- Find out about life in the 18th century with a visit to Dennis Severs' House.
- Explore the homes of two of the world's most celebrated musicians with Handel & Hendrix in London.
- Delve into the history of 19th-century surgery at the Old Operating Theatre.
- Head to the Wellcome Collection to find out about the impact of medicine on our lives.
- Appreciate the work of one of London’s most famous 19th-century novelists at The Charles Dickens Museum.
- See the effects that modern life has on our bodies through interactive exhibits and real, preserved bodies with Body Worlds.
Secret places to dine in London
- Sink your teeth into delicious dishes at Maltby Street Market.
- Experience the humble crisp like never before at trendy HipChips in Soho.
- Sit down to a boozy bottomless brunch with friends at Gaucho, Flesh & Buns or Aqua Kyoto.
- Tuck into an alternative afternoon tea in London.
- Step through a secret entrance in Bubbledogs to take a seat at the Michelin-starred Kitchen Table.
- Be plunged into darkness during an unforgettable three-course meal at Dans Le Noir.
- Indulge in mouthwatering desserts at top-secret London spot, Basement Sate.
- Look out for Opium Cocktail and Dim Sum Parlour, hidden behind a green door in London’s Chinatown.
- Try street food from around the world at Mercato Metropolitano.
- Tuck into tea and cake surrounded by feline friends at Lady Dinah’s Cat Emporium.
- Head to glamorous Brunswick House Cafe, which is hidden away in a Georgian mansion.
Off-the-beaten-track tours of London
- Scare yourself silly during a ride through London with The Ghost Bus Tours.
- See a completely different side of the city one toilet at a time during a London Loo Tour.
- Learn about the capital’s musical heritage during a Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll Tour of London.
- Be dazzled by views of the capital from above on a London Helicopter Tour.
- Discover the chilling story of London’s most notorious serial killer with Jack the Ripper Ghost Walks and stop off at his favourite drinking spot, The Ten Bells.
- Take a tour of the Royal Hospital Chelsea with a resident Chelsea Pensioner.
- Immerse yourself in the world of London’s most infamous duo during The Kray Twins Gangster Walking Tour.
- Venture beneath the streets of London to explore the abandoned Aldwych Underground station.
- Chow down on tasty food while learning about the capital’s culture with Eating London Food Tours.
Quirky London events
- Peer inside iconic buildings and private homes rarely opened to the public during Open House London.
- Watch your favourite flicks underneath the stars during Luna Cinema.
- Lose yourself in the immersive world of Secret Cinema.
- Tantalise your taste buds during a top-secret dining experience with Gingerline.
- Catch a spectacular lineup of outdoor plays and musicals at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre.
- Enjoy an evening of cheap entertainment at one of London's little-known pub theatres.
- Chuckle along to hilarious stand-up shows at the Top Secret Comedy Club.
- Step into the 1920s for a prohibition-themed party in a secret location with The Candlelight Club.
- Follow an exciting trail of artworks during all-night festival, Art Night.
- Stop by a church to hear the beautiful sounds of a Choral Evensong service.
More secret London attractions
- Discover hidden gems in a lesser-visited area of London, including Little Venice near Paddington or Kenwood House in Hampstead.
- Spend an afternoon exploring London's cool musical heritage.
- Climb more than 300 steps to the top of The Monument.
- Take in London’s spectacular sights from the river while kayaking down the Thames.
- Look out for London’s quirky street art. See if you can spot the Seven Noses of Soho or the hidden ears in Covent Garden.
- Head outdoors to explore some of London's most peaceful places.
- Uncover the abundant history of Roman London, including the remains of the capital’s little-known Roman wall.
- See if you can spot the smallest police station in London at Trafalgar Square.
- Go for a dip in one of the city’s lidos, or take a rowing boat out on Hyde Park's Serpentine Lake.
- Check into one of London's cool and quirky hotels.