You need a ticket to attend London's New Year's Eve fireworks display.
You can also watch the fireworks from the river on a New Year’s Eve cruise, or from a restaurant with views over the London Eye.
Restaurants, bars and clubs put on New Year's Eve celebrations, which are usually ticketed.
New Year's Eve travel on the Transport for London network is usually free between 11.45pm and 4.30am.
Take a look below for ideas of things to do in London on New Year's Eve, from the London New Year fireworks and special New Year’s Eve day events, to dazzling meals and parties lasting into the early hours of 2021.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability and book in advance to make the most of London's New Year's Eve celebrations, as spaces are often limited.
Central London gets very busy during the evening, so make sure to plan your journey in advance. There is usually free travel on TfL public transport services on New Year's Eve, including the Underground, buses, DLR, London Overground and trams.
Many New Year's Eve 2020 activities are yet to be confirmed – check back later in the year for more things to do on New Year's Eve in London.
London New Year’s Eve fireworks
The London New Year's Eve fireworks light up central London every New Year's Eve with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics.
London's NYE fireworks have been ticketed since 2014. If you want to be part of the celebrations on the night, you must have secured a ticket to be able to attend.
If you're not attending the fireworks, there are plenty more London New Year’s Eve 2020 activities to enjoy – take a look at some alternatives below, including other ways to see the London NYE fireworks.
NYE cruises with views of the fireworks
- Choose a magical New Year's Eve cruise on the Thames, where you can watch the NYE fireworks and enjoy live entertainment as you welcome 2021.
- Watch the London NYE fireworks from the river on one of City Cruises' New Year's Eve cruises: choose from dinner cruises, speedboat rides, traditional boat trips with champagne and live music, and even dinner in the R.S. Hispaniola ship, moored opposite the London Eye.
- Take a thrilling speedboat ride with Thames Rockets, before cruising back to central London in time to see the firework show. Or tuck into a celebration hamper including bubbly on a Thamesjet speedboat as you watch sky light up.
Other ways to see London's New Year's Eve fireworks
- Party through the decades at the Southbank Centre's annual New Year's Eve Spectacular. Take a breather from dancing and enjoy prime views of the London fireworks from the outdoor spaces.
- Treat yourself to an unforgettable London NYE at The Rooftop with views of Trafalgar Square and the fireworks.
- Feast on scallops and beef wellington at the legendary Savoy Grill, before making the most of riverside views as the sky erupts at midnight.
- See the skyline sparkle from the riverside restaurant at Sea Containers hotel, or head to the rooftop and party to live music at 12th Knot.
- End the year on a high with dinner and music at a restaurant with amazing views of the London New Year’s Eve fireworks.
London restaurants for New Year's Eve dining
New Year's Eve clubs and parties
- Dance in front of spectacular views of the fireworks, cocktail in hand, with the New Year's Eve party at The Shard.
- Ring in 2020 under the blue whale at the Natural History Museum during its fun-filled NYE party.
- Be transported to Times Square with the New Year’s Eve Ball at Battersea Evolution.
- Get your skates on and head to the NYE bash at Skylight’s rooftop bar, complete with an ice rink and bookable igloos to nestle in.
New Year's Eve shows and concerts
Day and evening NYE London ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice-skating rinks.
- Get stuck into festive fun at Winter Wonderland with rides, markets and shows.
- Take the family to a top Christmas show or a spectacular West End performance (not all productions have shows on New Year's Eve, so check dates in advance).
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
- Watch The Shard illuminate the sky with a special New Year's Eve light show.
Things to do on New Year's Day
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2021, which usually sees around 10,000 performers parade through central London.
- Hit the shops in one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights, which can still be spotted across the city.
- Take a look at what else is on in London on New Year's Day.