Don your best workout gear and have fun discovering London’s coolest outdoor fitness spots and activities.
While the capital is subject to national lockdown restrictions, there are certain rules around leaving your home for exercise.
Sports venues must close their doors and fitness classes aren't allowed to take place in London. However, there are still plenty of ways to enjoy some daily exercise outdoors in your local area.
Just remember to stay safe, be responsible and follow the latest coronavirus guidelines in London.
Best cycling routes
- Ride along the banks of the river Thames, which offer long scenic stretches of traffic-free cycling on the Thames Path National Trail.
- Take in some of London’s maritime history and discover hidden gems along the way with the Thames Cultural Cycling Tour.
- Explore north-east London’s Lee Valley and its 42km (26 miles) of traffic-free cycling.
- Head south to the once heavily industrialised river Wandle for largely traffic-free cycling alongside the river between Croydon and Wandsworth.
- Discover another side of the city on two wheels, from quirky spots to secret gardens, with TfL's themed cycling routes.
Best walks and trails
- Explore all that London's best parks have to offer, from spotting free-roaming deer in Richmond Park to walking up Primrose Hill for sweeping views of Regent’s Park and the London skyline.
- Take an evening stroll along the river Thames and watch as the Illuminated River installation lights up London’s iconic bridges, including London Bridge and Millennium Bridge.
- Walk the Regent's Canal from Camden Lock to King's Cross and see the man-made wonders of the locks used for raising and lowering boats along the way.
- See the London sites that inspired Arthur Conan Doyle with the Sherlock Holmes Tour, or stroll in the footsteps of Jack the Ripper on a themed walk.
Discover more London walks across the city.
Best outdoor swimming and lidos
- Take a refreshing dip in Tooting Bec Lido, the oldest purpose-built open-air pool in London.
- Go for a dip in one of Hampstead Heath’s four swimming pools, including three freshwater Bathing Ponds and the unheated Parliament Hill Lido.
- Enjoy a toasty swim at London Fields Lido, which is maintained at a comfortable 25C (77F) year-round.
- Marvel at Brockwell Lido’s art deco features, including its Grade II-listed pavilion buildings, during a swim at this south London outdoor pool.
- Head to south-east London for a proper swimming sesh in Charlton Lido’s Olympic-sized outdoor pool, which is heated to a balmy 25C (77F) all year.
Best outdoor fitness classes and workouts
- Start off your day with a relaxing outdoor yoga session on the rooftop of the Bussey Building in Peckham, with Yogarise.
- From full body workouts to pilates, join a socially distanced outdoor fitness class with Our Parks. Classes take place every week in boroughs across London, from Brent to Lewisham.
- Enjoy a mix of boxing, cardio and pad work suitable for all levels with Boxit Bootcamp’s high-intensity sessions in leafy Clapham Common.
- Join fellow joggers on a free, weekly 5k park run near you, with locations all over London, from Tooting Commons to Finsbury Park.
- Flex your muscles using the pull-up bars, parallel bars and monkey ladders at free outdoor gyms available in more and more London parks and green spaces, including Victoria Park and Holland Park.
- For military-style training, try the original outdoor bootcamp workout, Be Military Fit, in parks across the city.
- Practise your serve with a game of outdoor tennis at one of London’s top sports centres, from Crystal Palace National Sports Centre to Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre.
- Feeling adventurous? Try stand-up paddleboarding, wakeboarding or hydrofoiling in the Royal Victoria Dock with WakeUp Docklands.