The mercury might be lower but London gets the temperature rising with all sorts of wintry treats to keep you coming back throughout the season.
From mid-November through December, January and into February, it’s a true winter wonderland in London. So get out and explore with a walk over frosty leaves or snuggle up in a cosy pub in front of a crackling fire.
Don't forget to put on some extra layers to keep you warm, as London winter temperatures average between 2C and 10C (35F and 50F).
What are the top winter attractions?
- Make memories at London’s top attractions: Many host special wintry events and activities throughout the season.
- Pick up a London Pass for access to more than 80 attractions and fast-track entry: Alternatively, opt for a London Explorer Pass to use in a 60-day period or visit some of London’s most popular family attractions with a Merlin attractions pass.
- Go on a bus tour or river tour: Discover London in its wintry coat.
- On a clear winter's day, marvel at views of the city from one of its many viewpoints: The View from The Shard, Emirates Air Line or the London Eye are perfect for 360-degree shots.
- Explore London's historic royal attractions: Celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee year with a visit to the best royal attractions in London.
- Take a tour of Shakespeare's Globe: Go behind the scenes at one of most unique and breath-taking theatrical spaces in London.
Find more tips for sightseeing in London.
What's on in London theatre during winter 2022?
- See a spectacular theatre show in London's West End: Add some sparkle to the winter days.
- Get in the Christmas spirit with It's a Wonderful Life: Enjoy an operatic adaptation of this heartwarming festive film.
- Follow the adventures of Buddy in Elf The Musical: See the stage adaption of this cult festive movie brought to life at the Dominion Theatre.
- Lose your head at Six the Musical: Discover the untold story of six Tudor wives and their infamous ex, Henry VIII.
- Go on a magical adventure at The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe: Step through the wardrobe and into the mesmerising land of Narnia this winter.
- Groove along to reggae favourites at Get Up, Stand Up! The Bob Marley Musical: Transport yourself to sunnier climes this winter.
- Or be a dancing queen at Mamma Mia!: Enjoy the high energy musical packed with Abba songs, romance and feel-good fun.
- Watch The Book of Mormon: Laugh out loud at the award-winning comedy musical.
Make memories with the kids this winter
- Treat the kids to London’s top family attractions: And follow these 101 FOMO-inducing tips for teenagers.
- For wizardry winter magic, head to Warner Bros. Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter: Experience Hogwarts in the Snow (until 15 Jan) where you'll see the famous movie sets dressed for winter.
- Sing along to family favourite musicals: Chase away those winter blues with family favourites The Lion King and Mary Poppins.
- Make the most of the February half-term holiday: Make memories with fun activities. 13-17 Feb
- Explore ZSL London Zoo: Warm up this winter with a visit to the Rainforest and the Tropical Butterfly Paradise enclosures.
- Go ice skating: Skate in the shadow of some of London’s most famous landmarks at an open-air ice rink.
- Glide around on light skates at Canary Wharf's ice rink: Brighten dark nights and capture dazzling images with multicoloured LEDs attached to your skates. TBC
- Give curling your best shot at Club Curling at Coal Drops Yard in King's Cross: Team up with family members as you test your skills playing the classic winter game. TBC
- Take the kids to the annual Imagine children’s festival at the Southbank Centre: Enjoy more than 10 days of culture for kids aged 11 and under. TBC
- Celebrate the Lunar New Year of the Rabbit in 2023: Enjoy a host of family activities and show stopping performances across the city. TBC
- Take one of London's best walking tours: From movie locations to royal history, discover the city's most interesting spots on foot.
- Experience one of London’s best outdoor and drive-in cinemas: Plan a family film-fest!
Find more family activities.
What are the best things to do in London at Christmas?
- See an exclusive Christmas show: Enjoy festive performances such as Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas and The Piccadilly Christmas Show.
- Hop on a Christmas Lights London by Night bus tour: Admire London's landmarks illuminated on a special tour of the city. 26 Nov-2 Jan
- Buy tickets for Christmas at Kew: Be mesmerised by a spectacular lights show as Kew Gardens is transformed over the festive period. 16 Nov- 8 Jan
- Enjoy a festive Illuminations of London Christmas Eve tour: See the city sparkle as Christmas Day approaches. TBC
- Treat yourself to a Christmas Day river cruise and guided city tour: Sip on bubbly and feast on a traditional Christmas lunch in London. TBC
- Or go on a Christmas day hop-on hop-off bus tour: See sparkling Christmas lights and plenty of iconic sights. TBC
- Join the festive fun at London's Christmas lights switch-on events: Enjoy live music, activities and in-store offers.
- Watch London’s best Christmas trees sparkle: Spot as many as you can, as they pop up in every corner of the city.
- Marvel at the capital’s famous twinkling Christmas lights and decorations: Head to shopping areas such as Carnaby, Oxford Street, Regent Street, Piccadilly and South Molton Street.
- Attend a special Christmas carol service or concert: Celebrate the festive season and sing along to your favourite carols.
- Be captivated by
- . TBC
Check back in closer to Christmas for more unique experiences or see other festive ideas with these 101 Christmas activities.
What are the best museums and art exhibitions in London this winter?
- Visit the Crown and Conflict: Portraits of a Queen in Wartime exhibition at the Imperial War Museum London: See a collection of over fifty photographs, discovering how The Queen played her part in WWII. Until 8 Jan
- Explore the London Transport Museum after dark: Enjoy themed activities and talks from expert speakers.
- Don't miss the
- See The EY Exhibition Cezanne at the Tate Modern: Featuring paintings shown for the first time in the UK, see the ambitious artist's works up close. 5 Oct-12 Mar
- Experience culture after dark at a late-night London museum opening and lates events: Enjoy immersive experiences, DJ sets and more.
Get tickets to Making Modernism at the Royal Academy of Arts: Meet the women hidden from history as their works finally take centre stage. 12 Nov-12 Feb
- Discover the latest winners of the annual Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Natural History Museum: Be amazed by the wonders of the natural world.
Be enchanted by Beatrix Potter: Drawn to Nature at the Victoria and Albert Museum: See original water colours and drawings of the author's much-loved characters such as Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny. 12 Feb-8 Jan
Experience cultures from across the world at the British Museum: Discover millions of years of the history and mystery of mankind.
- Discover The Van de Veldes: Greenwich, Art and Sea exhibition at Queen’s House: A collection of captivating paintings depicting the changing moods of the ocean and maritime life. From 23 Feb
What are the top London winter events?
- Catch a show at the London International Mime Festival: Be left speechless by mime performances. TBC
- Watch something new at the London Short Film Festival: Catch short films from emerging filmmakers. TBC
- See artists unleash new creative concepts at the Purcell Sessions at the Southbank Centre: Be inspired by audio-visual installations, music, dance and visual art.
- Enjoy all things Scottish during Burns Night in January: Celebrate the birth of Scotland's national icon, Robert Burns – whisky bars are good starting points. 25 Jan
- Book a London winter break during February for the ultimate Valentine’s Day treat: Check out top tips for ramping up the romance in London. 14 Feb
- Take a front row seat at London Fashion Week: Embrace your inner fashionista with catwalk shows at this unmissable event. TBC
- Keep an eye out for talks, walks and more during LGBT+ History Month: The annual event celebrates equality and diversity every February.
Find more world-class London events in winter months
What are the best free things to do in winter?
- Explore London's many free museums and galleries: They are full of world-class objects and artworks.
- Seek out the capital's top free attractions: Perfect for an action-packed day out on the cheap.
- Make use of top offers: Find great deals for shows, restaurants and more.
- Pick up cheap theatre tickets: See top shows for less.
- Refuel at the city’s best budget lunch spots: Also check London's best cheap food hubs.
- Check out these tips for a cheap night out: You don't need to splash out to have a fun evening in the capital.
What are the top places to explore this winter?
- Go all botanical this winter with a stroll through Kew Gardens: Discover the UNESCO World Heritage Site's glass houses and stunning open spaces.
- Wander around London’s parks and gardens: Work off those extra Christmas calories with a walk on a crisp winter's day.
- Find the deer in Richmond Park: It's the largest Royal Park in London.
- Spot the pelicans and parakeets at St James's Park near Buckingham Palace: With royal, political and literary associations, St James's Park is a gem at the heart of London.
- Walk the Regent's Canal: Explore on foot from Camden Lock to King's Cross.
- Make your way to beautiful Hyde Park: Discover the memorials and cycle beside the Serpentine.
- Book one of London’s best walking tours: Delve into secret spots, historic tales, street art and more.
- Explore Hidden London with the London Transport Museum: Step back in time and discover secret forgotten stations with a fascinating tour of London's tube network.
- Admire London's statues and fountains: Journey through history as you discover London's iconic and much-loved monuments.
- Spot some outdoor art on your daily stroll: Highlights include the Illuminated River.
- Or get on your bike, as you hire a Santander Cycle for endless exploring, all from £2 a day: Visit parks, ride along the Thames or explore Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
- Seek out these outdoor spots for exercising: Perfect for a healthy and active winter.
- Go on new adventures in neighbourhoods outside central London: Make sure to check out Croydon, the Mayor's London Borough of Culture 2023.
Find more outdoor winter activities in London.
Where is the best place for winter shopping?
- Enjoy some retail therapy at London’s top shopping hotspots: From high-street brands on Oxford Street to upscale boutiques in Bond Street and St James’s, or beauty and fashion at Covent Garden, Carnaby and Belgravia.
- Bag yourself a bargain during the London winter sales: Don't miss out on more special offers during this time of year.
- Explore London’s coolest department stores: Find plenty of trendy threads and quirky homewares.
- Discover London's sustainable shopping scene: Save money and help the environment by visiting the best sustainable shops across the city.
- Work your way through the 101 best shops in London: The perfect excuse to keep coming back on regular shopping sprees.
Delve into more London shopping inspiration.
Where to go for winter food and drink
- Book a cocktail masterclass* or gin experience*: Make your own winter warmers.
- Get a winter pick-me-up with an afternoon tea: Indulge in a traditional afternoon tea or opt for a quirky afternoon tea.
- Defrost in front of a roaring fire at a snug London pub: Enjoy a mug of mulled wine.
- Scale the heights to a heated rooftop bar: Soak up sunset views across London and enjoy winter pop-up activities and music.
- The winter chill is the perfect excuse to tuck into warming Sunday roasts: Find the best places in London to treat yourself to this British classic.
- Seek out London’s best cheese hotspots oozing with delicious bites: Raclette, toasties, fondue… Whatever your cheesy craving, you'll find a place for it in London!
- Bite into tasty pastry from London’s top pie shops: Celebrate National Pie Day on 23 January.
- Banish the winter blues at London’s top bars: Winter and cocktails go hand-in-hand.
- Visit healthy eateries across the city: Stick to those New Year’s resolutions.
- Enjoy vegan and vegetarian delights this January: Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian or just dabbling, make the most of Veganuary.
Find more food and drink inspiration.
How can I celebrate New Year in London?
- Celebrate the end of the year with New Year's Eve events: Welcome the new year with these fun New Year's Eve activities.
- Celebrate the end of 2022 and welcome in the new year with London’s New Year’s Day Parade: Enjoy performances from popular artists and cultural groups.
Plan your New Year’s Eve in London.