- Some people may need a visa to visit, work or study in London.
- Visa-free travel to the UK is still in place for EEA and Swiss nationals.
- Most people can only enter the country as a visitor for a limited period.
- Information on travelling to London after Brexit can be found on the official UK government website.
Do I need a visa to go to London?
Some people may require a visa to visit the United Kingdom. To find out whether you need a visa to visit London and how to apply, see the UK Visas and Immigration website, or check with your local British Embassy or other diplomatic representative before you travel.
The rules change regularly, so you should check you have the most up-to-date information for your trip.
Information on visitor visas and how to apply for one can be found on the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Entry to the country as a visitor is only granted for a limited period. If you plan to stay in London for longer, check the UK Visas and Immigration website for visa regulations and further details.
Do I need a visa to visit London from the European Union?
Following the UK's decision to leave the European Union, visa-free travel to and from the UK is still in place for EEA and Swiss citizens until 31 October 2019. If a withdrawal agreement is reached between the UK and EU, visa-free travel for short visits is likely to continue for the immediate future.
Please note that this position is subject to change if an agreement between the UK and EU is not reached. Visit the UK Visas and Immigration website for the latest details.
How will Brexit impact my travel plans?
Find out everything you need to know about the impact Brexit may have on your trip to London:
- Take a look at the latest updates on what you'll need to enter the UK after 31 October.
- Get up to speed with what you can bring into the UK, from customs guidance to regulations about pets.
- Check out what documents need to be shown at the UK border, including information on national identity cards and passports after Brexit.
- Discover what documents you'll need to pack if you're planning on driving during your trip.
- Find out about using your mobile phone while exploring London.
- Read the latest advice on flights, coaches, ferries and trains arriving in and departing the UK.
- Learn about accessing NHS healthcare while visiting the UK after Brexit.
The latest expected Brexit date is 31 October 2019. For more information, visit the official UK government website for the latest Brexit news and advice for travellers.
Do I need a visa to study in London?
Some people may need a visa to study in London. Further details on student visas are available from the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Last updated: 27/09/2019