Join in top events in March, including St Patrick’s Day, The Boat Races and International Women's Day,
Treat mum to a day out. Many London restaurants, tea rooms and attractions have events and offers for Mother’s Day.
Welcome spring with a walk or run in London's parks as the weather starts to warm up.
Although the weather may still be a little cold, the first signs of spring appear in March in London.
It's a good time to visit Kensington Palace gardens, Kew Gardens or any of London’s other top gardens, as seas of crocuses and daffodils bloom across the capital. You won't want to miss the chance to fill your Instagram feed with pretty cherry blossom trees this month.
March events in London
Annual March events and celebrations
- Celebrate St Patrick's Day with a parade through central London and a free festival in Trafalgar Square, showcasing the best of Irish culture. Many pubs and bars across the capital also host St Patrick's Day events. Make sure to check out London's top Irish pubs.
- Honour International Women's Day with the WOW – Women of the World festival at Southbank Centre or by learning the history of feminism and women's rights at Unfinished Business: The Fight for Women's Rights at the British Library.
- Treat your mum to a day out in London on Mother's Day. You’ll find plenty of fun things to do with mum, including afternoon teas, river cruises and shows.
Cool things to do in London in March 2020
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of planet Earth at the extraordinary spectacle of Planet Earth II Live in Concert at The O2.
- Learn how to survive on our planet in the future through art installations, talks, striking performances and panels at FutureFest 2020.
- Don't forget to join in Global Recycling Day with fun activities usually hosted at Carnaby Street.
- Spot Mary Poppins, Mr. Bean and more film icons at the Scenes in the Square statue trail in Leicester Square.
- Marvel at locally produced delicacies, create a culinary masterpiece at a class (then munch on it!) and meet foodie celebs at the Eat and Drink Festival at Olympia London.
- London Handel Festival is themed Handel and the Hanoverians this year and brings a huge programme of events surrounding the Baroque musician's work.
Where to find inspiration this March
- See the works of Cao Fei as the Blueprints exhibition – which explores themes of automation and technology – makes the Serpentine Galleries its home this spring.
- Find inspiration in more than 25 of Helaine Blumenfeld's sculptures as her exhibition, Looking Up: Helaine Blumenfeld, turns Canary Wharf into an art trail.
- Take your last chance to find out the truth about Troy and the 3,000-year-old tale in Troy: Myth and Reality at British Museum.
- It's also your last chance to explore Tim Walker's inventive photography and fantastical imagination through the Wonderful Things exhibition.
- Head to the Guildhall Art Gallery to ponder works as part of The Enchanted Interior which explores the enforced isolation of women through history.
- Pop by Tate Modern to see the works of an American icon, Andy Warhol, presenting prints and interactive exhibits never seen before in the UK.
- Drop by Lazinc Gallery to catch the last glimpse of painting demonstrations as part of the Watch this Space project.
- Wander through Among the Trees at the Hayward Gallery, displaying sculptures, paintings and photography alongside installations themed around trees.
- Or explore another forest resident through Mushrooms: The art, design and future of fungi at Somerset House.
Sports events in London this March
- Secure a good viewing spot along the Thames Championship Course this month to see rowing crews from around the world take on the Head of the River Race and the Women's Eights Head of the River Race.
- Join the runners or watch from the sidelines as the London Landmarks Half Marathon winds its way through Westminster and the City of London.
- Or join one of the 10K park runs across London’s neighbourhoods: Victoria Park, Richmond and Hyde Park – or earn your stripes at the Where's Wally? Fun Run.
- Feel the electric atmosphere of competition and sport spirit as you watch the Boxing European Olympic Qualifier at The Copper Box Arena.
For more things to do in March in London, take a look at our events calendar and guide to what's on in London. And catch the best of the London stage with our theatre guide. If you're into last-minute planning, check out what's on this weekend and find more ideas for things to do today.
WEATHER: For average seasonal temperatures and rainfall, see our London weather page.
Sign up for our monthly enewsletter for year-round updates about what's on in London.