Keep the whole family entertained over the Easter holidays with our roundup of the best things to do during Easter 2020 in London.
From Easter egg hunts and special Easter events for kids and grownups, to the best chocolate shops and Easter opening hours in London, plan a fun-filled Easter break in the capital. Find things to do in London on Easter Sunday, Good Friday events and Easter Monday activities with our London Easter ideas below.
Easter weekend 2020 events in London
- Watch a spectacular free performance of The Passion of Jesus, featuring 100 performers, in Trafalgar Square on Good Friday. 10 Apr
- Join an Easter weekend service at one of London’s churches or cathedrals, including Westminster Abbey, St Paul’s Cathedral, St Martin-in-the-Fields and Southwark Cathedral.
- Attend an Easter Sunday Mass in Tottenham, then celebrate with some fizz and canapes while the kids join themed activities. 12 Apr
London Easter egg hunts and trails
- Embark on a free and epic Easter Eggs-pedition around the Bank of England Museum, then craft your very own rabbit or sheep mask! Various dates in April
- Search for treasures at the The Royal Mews, weave decorations out of twigs and decorate eggs to take home. 11-13 Apr
- Challenge the family to basket-load of surprises at The Great Shoreditch Easter Egg Hunt. 11 Apr
- Many more London sites hold their own Easter activities, including Easter egg hunts around royal palaces, nature trails seeking out spring arrivals in parks and nature reserves. Check back nearer the time for more details.
Easter chocolate in London
- Eye up the eggs at Fortnum & Mason's chocolate department, which is full of seasonal treats. Or buy that special someone an Easter hamper from "the Queen's grocer".
- Visit London’s top chocolate shops for more beautiful chocolate eggs and Easter treats.
- Look out for chocolate-themed afternoon teas in London at Easter.
- Treat yourself to pink champagne truffles and other chocolatey delights during a special afternoon tea at Monmouth Kitchen, Leicester Square Kitchen, May Fair Kitchen and Bloomsbury Street Kitchen in conjunction with Charbonnel et Walker.
- Overindulge in more than 18 varieties of tea alongside exquisite baked delights this Easter Sunday at The Ritz's decadent Easter Afternoon Tea. 12 Apr
- Find Easter-inspired cupcakes, pastries and cookies in London's top cake shops.
Easter Sunday lunch in London
- Enjoy one of London's best Sunday roasts at Easter.
- Book a table in a top traditional pub for Easter Sunday lunch in London.
- Drop by a riverside pub after an Easter Sunday walk along the river.
- Enjoy mid-morning treats on the Thames with City Cruises' new Sunday brunch. From 1 Apr
- Or snap up a seasonal savoury brunch at Mr Fogg's House of Botanicals on Easter Sunday. 12 Apr
Spring blooms and baby animals
- See if you can spot some spring arrivals at a London city farm or zoo.
- Take a leisurely Easter walk through nature reserves and woodlands in London.
- Get up close to wildlife at Battersea Park Children's Zoo during the Easter holidays.
- Enjoy a beautiful spring day out among the flowers at a top London garden.
- Find more ways to explore London’s many parks and green open spaces.
Family attractions and activities for kids in London
- Grab a sightseeing pass for a stress-free Easter in London with the whole family.
- Take the whole family to the Southbank Centre for a host of Easter events, many of which are free, including a Pedal Power Disco, a Family Tree Trail and gardening and craft workshops. 4-19 Apr
- Follow a trail of clues with the little ones to track down Billy Brown, a special character from London's transport history, at the London Transport Museum this Easter. 4-19 Apr
- Steam over to the London Museum of Water and Steam for a blast of Easter activity! 4-19 Apr
- It's time to search for the Easter bunny and its friends! Find them hiding at The Royal Air Force Museum. 4-19 Apr
- Create quirky decorations on eggs at the free Easter Egg Marbling class in time for the big weekend. 8 Apr
- Got crafty kids? Burgh House & Hampstead Museum is the place to be on Good Friday for hands-on activities. 10 Apr
- Let the little ones explore beneath the hull of Cutty Sark or take part in one of the Royal Observatory's Young Astronomers Workshops in Greenwich.
- Become a pilot, doctor or TV presenter in KidZania’s child-size city.
- There's no better place to go on an egg hunt than among the hens. So, head to Hen Corner to hug a hen, master the art of hot cross bun making and indulge in chocolate. 11 and 13 Apr
- Race the clock in an egg-cellent Easter Treasure Hunt for all ages at the Victoria & Albert Museum, as you mix adventure and education. 11 Apr
- Head up to The View from The Shard for family activities this Easter in London.
- Look out for Easter family fun at more of London’s top attractions and family-friendly museums, as many put on special activities for children at this time.
- Competitive folks, this one's for you. Embark on a four-hour Bucket Race around London, exploring its secret corners. How quick will you be? 11 Apr
- Find an Easter extravaganza at Church Street in Twickenham, where a street parade, food stalls, face painting, treasure hunts and competitions can be enjoyed all day. 12 Apr
- For more things to do with the kids at Easter in London, take a look at our guide to 101 family-friendly activities.
Easter weekend shows in London
- Book tickets to some of London’s most popular shows.
- Take the family to see a smash-hit West End musical.
- Treat the kids to one of London’s child-friendly shows, including The Lion King and Wicked.
- See Shrek and his friends’ story in musical form at Shrek the Musical at The Bob Hope Theatre. 9-18 Apr
- Enjoy an annual Easter tradition, Handel’s Messiah, on Good Friday with a performance by the Royal Choral Society at the Royal Albert Hall. 10 Apr
- Hunting for a good night out? Grab a spot at The Jazz Cafe for a comeback DJ set from soulful house legend, Osunlade. Book tickets to Easter Friday: Osunlade now. 10 Apr
- Or dance and bowl to 1980s and 1990s tunes at Bloomsbury Bowling Lanes’ The Most Eggsellent Easter Party. Book tickets to The Most Eggsellent Easter Party now. 11 Apr
- Easter eggs hiding among more than 120 ponies? Only at the Ham Polo Club! 12 Apr
Quirky Easter events in London
- Get fabulous with Easter-themed bottomless brunches and glittery face glam all weekend at the Easter Bank Holiday Extravaganza at Ballie Ballerson in either Soho or Shoreditch. 9-12 Apr
- Burn off all those chocolate eggs at the Easter Victoria Park Race (10 Apr) or London Easter 10k at Regent's Park (13 Apr).
- Club de Fromage is throwing an Easter-themed mini party! Expect confetti, singalongs and plenty of fun competition. 11 Apr
Easter opening hours and transport in London
Good Friday and Easter Monday are both public holidays. Most attractions are open over the Easter bank holiday, but check with individual venues in advance; particularly to find what is open on Easter Sunday in London. Shops are closed on Easter Sunday, except small shops which may open for a few hours.