London's New Year's Eve fireworks display is cancelled this year.
Restaurants and bars host New Year's Eve celebrations and menus, which require advanced booking – under current coronavirus regulations, these venues will close at 10pm.
New Year's Eve travel on the Transport for London network is usually free between 11.45pm and 4.30am.
Take a look below for ideas of things to do in London on New Year's Eve. The London New Year fireworks have been cancelled this year due to coronavirus, but there are plenty of special New Year’s Eve day events, shows, memorable meals and activities before 2021.
Whatever your plans, make sure to check availability for London's New Year's Eve celebrations, as spaces are often limited and many venues now require advanced booking.
Central London gets very busy during the evening, so make sure to plan your journey in advance and walk or cycle where possible. There is usually free travel on TfL public transport services on New Year's Eve, including the Underground, buses, DLR, London Overground and trams. Remember to follow the latest guidelines and regulations to keep yourself and others safe during the coronavirus pandemic.
Many New Year's Eve 2020 activities are yet to be confirmed – check back later in the year for more things to do on New Year's Eve in London.
London New Year’s Eve fireworks
The London New Year's Eve fireworks usually light up central London every New Year's Eve with a dazzling spectacle of pyrotechnics. London's NYE fireworks have been ticketed since 2014. If you want to be part of the celebrations on the night, you must have secured a ticket to be able to attend.
However, the London NYE fireworks have been cancelled in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Stay tuned for ways to celebrate at home instead and discover more spectacular London New Year’s Eve 2020 activities to enjoy below.
London restaurants for New Year's Eve dining
- Treat yourself to a meal at one of London's finest Michelin-starred restaurants.
- Find and book a restaurant for New Year's Eve, many of which put on special New Year's Eve menus.
- Go for an unusual end to the year at one of London’s quirky restaurants.
- Start your celebrations off early with an indulgent afternoon tea in London.
- Enjoy a pre-dinner drink or toast midnight at one of London’s sparkling champagne bars or swish cocktail bars.
Find the latest coronavirus guidance and regulations for restaurants, bars and pubs in London.
New Year's Eve clubs and parties
New Year's Eve shows and concerts
- See a show at one of London’s reopened theatres – London theatre shows must be booked in advance.
- Sing along to Everybody’s Talking About Jamie, a coming-of-age story about a teenage boy who confronts his bullies.
- Try to guess “who dunnit” in long-running murder mystery The Mousetrap.
- Laugh your way into the new year with slapstick shows Magic Goes Wrong or The Play the Goes Wrong.
- Enjoy a pop-filled take on the tale of Henry VIII and his wives with Six.
- Treat the kids to Tchaikovsky’s enchanting ballet, The Nutcracker, at the London Coliseum.
- Find what else is on stage over the festive season.
Day and evening NYE London ideas
- Enjoy an afternoon skate at one of London's top ice-skating rinks.
- Tick off some of London’s top attractions, many of which are open during the day on New Year’s Eve.
- Pick up something extra special to wear on New Year’s Eve in London’s shops.
- Enjoy a stroll through one of London’s parks, which are full of wintry scenery at this time of the year.
Ways to celebrate New Year's Eve from home
If you're not able to get out and about in London for New Year's Eve, take a look at our guide to experiencing the best of London from home, from online shows and events, to virtual tours and festive fun for all the family.
Check back nearer the time for confirmed online New Year's Eve events and activities.
Things to do on New Year's Day
- Start the new year off with the London New Year’s Day Parade 2021, which usually sees around 10,000 performers parade through central London.
- Hit the shops at one of London’s top shopping destinations to pick up bargains in the January sales.
- Marvel at the Christmas lights, which can still be spotted across the city.
- Take a look at what else is on in London on New Year's Day.