Get ready for a week of family fun in London during the May half-term holiday 2021 (also known as summer half-term).
Plan your May school holiday break with this guide to the top things to do during half-term in London. Discover family-friendly museums, half-term activities and kids' shows, and take the children outdoors to London's parks and playgrounds on a sunny day.
May half-term activities in London
- Help Space Ted the teddy bear plan his holiday to another planet during a special Space Safari planetarium show in the Royal Observatory Greenwich.
- Discover Amazonian animals at SEA LIFE London aquarium's Rainforest Adventure! experience.
- See toys dating back to the 1600s at the free V&A Museum of Childhood.
- Explore the National Maritime Museum Greenwich through arts, crafts, dance and drama with several half-term events throughout the week.
- Tick off the capital's top attractions, from the Science Museum to Madame Tussauds.
- Battle against the clock with the whole family at an escape room or go on a quest for crystals at The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
- Become a trader and try to cross the world with your cargo during special half-term events at Cutty Sark Greenwich.
- Have fun for less with free things to do with kids in London this summer half-term.
- Look out for kids' half-term activities at London’s attractions and children's museums during the school holiday.
Kids' outdoor activities during summer half-term
- Buzz around the Horniman Museum's nature trails discovering bees, pond life and free craft activities this half-term week.
- Take a wander through gorgeous Kew Gardens in its bloom, then join in on half-term workshops for all ages.
- Climb into royal towers and hunt for mythical creatures in Hampton Court Palace’s Magic Garden.
- Spot life-size dinosaurs hiding between the trees of Crystal Palace Park.
- Embark on a tree-top adventure at Go Ape Battersea or Go Ape Alexandra Park this half-term in London.
- Hire a pedalo or rowing boat in Hyde Park or Regent’s Park.
- Make the most of sunny days with more things to do outdoors in London.
Half-term children's shows in London
- Watch a spectacular adaptation of Disney’s classic stories with Matilda and The Lion King on the West End stage.
- Take a look at what’s on over half-term in one of London’s theatres for children.
- Find more half-term kids' shows in London.
Where to stay and where to eat with kids in London
- Enjoy special children’s menus and activities in a top London family restaurant.
- Grab a cheap bite in an inexpensive eatery this May half-term.
- Treat the family to a memorable meal at a top quirky restaurant.
- Dine on cakes and finger sandwiches during a cheap afternoon tea.
- Complete your half-term break with a stay in a family-friendly hotel in London.
- Book a self-catering apartment for more flexibility during the school holidays.
- Locate the best areas to stay with children in London.
How to save on a family day out in London
- Pick up The London Pass to save on more than 80 of London's best attractions, including ZSL London Zoo and Tower Bridge – and skip the queues with fast track entry.
- Have discounted access to five family-friendly London attractions as part of the Merlin five-in-one London attractions pass, including The London Eye, Madame Tussauds, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, Shrek's Adventure! London and The London Dungeon.