Get ready for a week of family fun in London during the May half-term holiday 2022 (also known as summer half-term).
Plan your May school holiday break with this guide to the top things to do during half-term in London. Discover family-friendly museums, half-term activities and kids' shows, and take the children outdoors to London's parks and playgrounds on a sunny day.
May half-term activities in London
- Tick off the capital's top attractions, from the Emirates Air Line cable car to Madame Tussauds.
- Take the kids on an open-top bus guided tour around the city. How many London landmarks can they name?
- Discover Amazonian animals at SEA LIFE London aquarium's Rainforest Adventure! experience.
- Have fun for less with free things to do with kids in London this summer half-term.
- Look out for kids' half-term activities at London’s attractions and children's museums during the school holiday.
- Battle against the clock with the whole family at an escape room or go on a quest for crystals at The Crystal Maze LIVE Experience London.
Half-term children's shows in London
- Take a look at what’s on over half-term in one of London’s theatres for children.
- Or book into one of the capital's top musicals, with family favourites including Wicked and The Lion King.
How to save on a family day out in London
- Pick up The London Pass to save on more than 80 of London's best attractions, including Windsor Castle and Tower Bridge – and skip the queues with fast track entry.
- Have discounted access to five family-friendly London attractions as part of the Merlin five-in-one London attractions pass, including The London Eye, Madame Tussauds, SEA LIFE London Aquarium, Shrek's Adventure! London and The London Dungeon.
- Or check out the London Explorer Pass to see various attractions within a 30-day period.
Kids' outdoor activities during summer half-term
- Climb into royal towers and hunt for mythical creatures in Hampton Court Palace’s Magic Garden.
- Spot life-size dinosaurs hiding between the trees of Crystal Palace Park.
- Embark on a tree-top adventure at Go Ape Battersea or Go Ape Alexandra Park this half-term in London.
- Hire a pedalo or rowing boat in Hyde Park or Regent’s Park.
- Buzz around the Horniman Museum's nature trails exploring bees and pond life this half-term week.
- Make the most of sunny days with more things to do outdoors in London.
Where to stay and where to eat with kids in London
- Enjoy special children’s menus and activities in a top London family restaurant.
- Grab a cheap bite in an inexpensive eatery this May half-term.
- Treat the family to a memorable meal at a top quirky restaurant.
- Dine on cakes and finger sandwiches during a cheap afternoon tea.
- Complete your half-term break with a stay in a family-friendly hotel in London.
- Book a self-catering apartment for more flexibility during the school holidays.
- Locate the best areas to stay with children in London.
Unmissable half-term events
Check back nearer the time for details of specific May half-term events in 2022.
For more family day out ideas this half-term, take a look at a guide to London for kids, including the roundups of 101 things to do with children and teenagers. In need of last minute ideas? Check out this guide to the best things to do this weekend.